At Newpark Care Centre, we understand the importance of having all the facts when considering residential care for you or your loved ones. The financial aspect of the decision often sparks many queries and concerns. There are a lot of supports in place, including the Nursing Home Support Scheme, also known as Fair Deal. This provides financial assistance for people who need a long-term care home. It’s an option available at Newpark Care Centre and one that we are often asked about. So to help you make the right decision, here is all you need to know about Fair Deal.
• The Nursing Homes Support Scheme provides financial assistance for people who need long-term nursing home care. An individual’s contribution is based on their means, and the State, through the Health Service Executive (HSE), pays the balance of the costs in public, private and voluntary nursing homes approved under the scheme.
• Anyone who is assessed as requiring long-term nursing home care can avail of the scheme.
This is a two step process. Firstly, an application for a Care Needs Assessment is made, and then an application for State support. There is an optional third step for the Nursing Home Loan.
• They are available online HERE (http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/list/4olderpeople/nhss/AppForm.pdf) or at your local health office or hospital.
• This is carried out by healthcare professionals appointed by the HSE, and takes into account the ability to carry out the activities of daily living; the medical, health and personal social services being provided; family and community support; and the person’s own wishes.
• Contribution is 80% of assessable income and 705% of the value of any assets per annum. The first €36,000 of assets, or €72,000 for a couple will not be counted in the financial assessment. The 7.5% contribution from the principal residence is only included for the first three years of a person’s time in care. If you have no assets, you simply pay 80% of your assessable income.
• The partner will be left with 50% of the couple’s income or the maximum rate of the State Pension (Non-Contributory) whichever is the greater.
• The Nursing Home Loan (Ancillary State Support) is an optional extra of the Fair Deal scheme for people who own property/land-based assets in the State. It’s designed to ensure that no one needs to sell their family home to pay for care costs. The 7.5% contribution based on assets like land and property may be deferred and collected at a later date.
• Under the scheme, bed and board is covered along with nursing and personal care and laundry.
• Approximately four to six weeks.
We hope to have answered any questions you might have about the Fair Deal Scheme. If you do have any further queries on the Scheme, please contact your local HSE Nursing Homes Support Office, call the HSE info line 1850 24 1850 or visit the website www2.hse.ie/services/aboutthefairscheme